Tanzania Health Promotion Support (THPS) is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 in 2011. THPS works in partnership with the Ministries of Health (MOH), Ministry of Community Development Gender Elderly and Special Groups; Regional Administration and Local Governments (PORALG), Ministry of Health in Zanzibar and Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) with a goal of ensuring accessible high-quality health care services to all Tanzanians; through strengthening of health systems for quality health services. THPS is currently implementing projects in comprehensive HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Support and Treatment among general and key populations in Pwani, Shinyanga and Kigoma regions; key & vulnerable populations across 15 district councils across 4 mainland Tanzania regions, HIV and TB prevention among police and prisons officers, staff, prisoners and Health laboratory services strengthening in all mainland regions and Zanzibar.
In response to Notice of Funding Opportunity Request for Application Number
72062122RFA00002, THPS is seeking experienced, young, dynamic and qualified candidates for Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party – Programs and Operations (DCOPP, DCOPO) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Director positions in an anticipated opportunity through USAID/Tanzania to lead implementation of a four years Youth Empowerment and Skills (YES) Activity. This Activity will support the Government of Tanzania (GOT) to increase empowerment, productivity, and community engagement of youth through integrated cross-sectoral activities. The positions will function as the key personnel and will provide overall leadership, management and technical and operations support; and will be responsible for overseeing implementation of the Activity including technical and program management, administration, performance monitoring and will be accountable for results.
In that regard THPS will invite successful candidates for dialogue and potential engagement for the below roles, YES Activity in Tanzania should THPS be awarded the program.
The position is subject to a successful award be granted to THPS.
Chief of Party (COP)
Reports to: THPS Executive Director (ED)
Position Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Overall Job Function
The Chief of Party (COP) will serve as the primary technical and managerial lead for the YES Activity in Tanzania which focuses on increasing the empowerment, productivity and community engagement of youth integrating other areas of intervention including health, education, democracy and governance, and economic growth enabling them become full actors in their own well-being. The COP will provide leadership and coordination in strategic planning, program development and management, and overseeing the implementation and evaluation of all activities related to this Activity in Tanzania; while ensuring that resources are used as planned. This position will serve as the point of contact regarding the YES Activity with the GOT and USAID/Tanzania and will provide oversight for quality implementation of the Activity complying to rules, regulations and policies.
- Provide overall strategic, technical leadership and coordination in planning, implementation, and evaluation of all USAID YES Activity in Tanzania.
- Provide oversight on administration, management and implementation of approved work plans in line with budget allocations
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work and the completion of deliverables including submission of quality reports
- Serve as the overall liaison with USAID/Tanzania, GOT relevant ministries, sub awardee partners and other national/international agencies, institutions, and stakeholders.
- Communicate in a timely fashion with THPS Executive Director and senior management team (SMT) and USAID on the coordination of activities and regarding status/problems associated with activities and offer proposed solutions.
- Supervise, and manage all program staff and consultants working on this Activity.
- Provide program and technical direction, lead annual work plan development, as well as completion of required reports.
- Oversee the planning, monitoring, management and control systems to ensure informed decision-making and implementation of activities.
- Oversee monitoring of activities and ensure incorporation of lessons learned into ongoing activity tasks.
- Ensure performance against targets. Take corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure Activity financial systems and controls comply with generally accepted accounting practices and USG standards and GOT.
- Ensure compliance with THPS and USAID policies, rules and regulations.
- Lead development and implementation of sustainability plans and ensure continuous engagement of local government authorities and stakeholders
- Ensure accuracy and timely submission of all quarterly/annual reporting requirements
- Supervise the development, implementation and reporting of evaluation and performance management including mid and end term program evaluation
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in relevant field such as Social Sciences, Community Development, Education, Public Health, Project Management
- Seven (7) years or more of program and/or project management experience including youth programming, community engagement, capacity development and entrepreneurship
- Previous work experience in managing and leading USAID-funded programs at senior level capacities
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules and regulations; knowledge and experience in project start-up activities in Tanzania
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in implementing Positive Youth Development principles highly preferred
- Good interpersonal and people management skills, a team player, demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with other staff, sub awardees, GOT counterparts at national, regional and community level, USAID/Tanzania, private sector, consultants and other stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written skills with fluency in Swahili and English.
- Must be a citizen of Tanzania
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum to (email@example.com) by 23rd March, 2022 with a position tittle as a subject line, for example ‘’Chief of Party YES Activity’’. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; youth, women, people living with HIV/AIDS and people living with disability are encouraged to apply.